What can you get with $20? Depending on where you live, one Andrew Jackson usually won't get you very far — especially if you're looking to put your money toward travel. Usually. While the word "hostel" may not immediately spark anything but thoughts of cramped dorms, this budget-friendly accommodation option has gotten a facelift in recent years.
We've seen the hostel elevated — and innovated — and have compiled a list of five of the most incredible hostels around the world for less than your average Grubhub delivery.
1. Ball Out: Hub New Lisbon Hostel
When was the last time you played in a ball pit? Not only is this highly-rated (4.5/5 on TripAdvisor) Lisbon hostel right in the middle of the city, it also has excellent communal spaces and amenities — like its Instagrammable ball pit, female-only floor and fun bar with 1-euro beers.
- Location: Lisbon, Portugal
- Nightly Solo Rate: $12, excluding taxes and fees
Image Source: TripAdvisor
2. Luxurious & Cheap Collide: Lub D Cambodia Siem Reap
Between this hostel's perfect (5/5 on TripAdvisor) user rating and its close proximity to some of the most spectacular sights in the world (Angkor Wat and Ta Prohm, anyone?), you'd think it couldn't get any better for $7, right? Wrong. This hotel also features new, modern amenities, a swim-up bar and guest activities like cycling trips and pub crawls.
- Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Nightly Solo Rate: $7, excluding taxes and fees
3. Skater's Paradise: Saint Jordi Hostel Sagrada Familia
Whether you skate goofy, regular or have no idea what any of that means, the Jordi Hostel Sagrada Familia is an awesome place to stay due it its indoor skatepark, its spot near Gaudi's famous Sagrada Familia and its excellent user rating (4/5 rating on TripAdvisor).
- Location: Barcelona, Spain
- Nightly Solo Rate: $18, excluding taxes and fees
Image Source: Saint Jordi Hostels
4. Get Your Adrenaline Rush: Pak-Up Hostel
"Once you come to Pak-UP, you'll never want to Pak-Up." This hostel lives true to its slogan — and its 4.5/5 rating on TripAdvisor — as it's an adventure-lover's dream due to its close to many great scuba diving, snorkeling and swimming spots. Add in the fact that a nightly stay will only set you back about the cost of a Pabst Blue Ribbon in the city ($9, New York? Really?), and you have a perfect place to crash.
- Location: Krabi, Thailand
- Nightly Solo Rate: $9, excluding taxes and fees
5. Beachside Budget: Baby Bush Lodge
Take a look at this view and ask yourself if it's worth $14. The Bush Baby Lodge, which has a 4/5 rating on TripAdvisor, is located right next to the Indian Ocean in Kiwengwa, Tanzania, and it's a budget traveler's dream. From its close proximity to some of the country's most popular beaches to its sun deck and swimming pool, you'll feel like you're spending a fortune.
- Location: Kiwengwa, Tanzania
- Nightly Solo Rate: $14, excluding taxes and fees