Picture this: A relaxing vacation that's a cross between a cruise and glamping. Sounds intriguing right? This summer we're all about the houseboat vacations as they offer the best of two worlds. You can enjoy the sun and the water of rivers, lakes, and oceans while also being able to enjoy land and basic amenities as well. You can spend your days cruising coastlines while having all of the comforts of home at your fingertips. These floating vacation rentals are actually not difficult to find. They are available on bodies of water all over the country, so it’s easier than you might think to get out one this summer.
We've done our research and have put together the ultimate list of five of the best houseboats across the U.S. from under $99 a night!
From the Idaho mountain lakes to wine barrel boats — there is a houseboat escape waiting for everyone.
1. Jicama Houseboat From $70 Per Night
Jicama houseboat is docked on beautiful Lake Union with views of downtown Seattle in the distance. With a 4.5/5 rating on Airbnb there's no doubt that your stay will be comfortable. The property offers a full kitchen, living space with sleeper sofa and table, bathroom with hot shower and wall heaters for cozy nights. It comfortably accommodates up to six people. There are also kayaks in the marina you can use on a first come first serve basis.
- Location: Seattle, Washington
- Closest Airport: Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
- Nightly Rate: From $70 per night, excluding taxes and fees
2. Louisiana River Houseboat From $72 Per Night
If your looking for a quiet getaway then this is it. Tucked away in a river neighborhood this is the perfect spot to relax, enjoy the scenery around you, and take some kayaks out on to the river. The houseboat as an excellent 5/5 rating on Airbnb and is the perfect base for sunbathing and quiet time. The boat can fit up to four people comfortably and has hot water, heat, and a patio/balcony to enjoy the views from.
- Location: West Monroe, Louisiana
- Closest Airport: Monroe Regional Airport
- Nightly Rate: From $72 per night, excluding taxes and fees
3. Idaho Mountain Bay Houseboat From $89 Per NightThis secured floating home sits directly on the shores of Scenic Bay, a beautiful inlet in the southwest corner of Lake Pend Oreille. With a 4.5/5 rating on Airbnb it's a great place to bring along your rods and hiking boots to explore the lake's 200-mile shoreline. Rent a boat from the local marina, or head three miles southwest to hike, or hit the beach at Farragut State Park. And if you grow tired of nature you will only be 12 miles from Silverwood Theme Park for a day of fun. The house is more cabin like so you'll have a unique mountain houseboat experience during your stay.
- Location: Bayview, Idaho
- Closest Airport: Spokane International Airport
- Nightly Rate: From $89 per night, excluding taxes and fees
4. Floating Wine Barrel Cabin From $91 Per Night
The highly-rated (5/5 on Airbnb) Wine Barrel Cabin has an excellent spot in gorgeous Canadian wine country—a glamping experience on the water like no other! You will be floating in beautiful Fox Creek, overlooking lush vineyards and surrounded by wildlife, plus only minutes from all the major wineries in the area. The boat fits two guests and you will have your own tiki bar to enjoy a bottle of wine as the sun sets and an outdoor shower with hot water.
- Location: Essex, Ontario, Canada
- Closest Airport: Toronto International Airport
- Nightly Rate: From $91 per night, excluding taxes and fees
5. Love Boat House From $79 Per Night
The Love Boat House, which has an excellent 5/5 rating on Airbnb, and is located in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Don't let the exterior catamaran confuse you because the inside is simply gorgeous. All white walls and plenty of windows with natural light filtering in. You will have full access of the boat and all its amenities with the exception of the ability to drive boat. The marina amenities include a pool, gym, full separate men's and women's bathrooms with showers, laundry facilities, clubhouse with pool table, and on-site waterfront restaurant. Don't worry, there's still a a shower and toilet onboard for your convenience.
- Location: Manteo, North Carolina
- Closest Airport: Norfolk International Airport
- Nightly Rate: From $79 per night, excluding taxes and fees